Posts Tagged ‘George Herriman’
* Trump is targeting up to 8 million people for deportation. Making America Cruel Again. The triumph of cruelty. Inside the White House-Cabinet battle over Trump’s immigration order. 24 Hours at JFK. ‘Breathtaking violation of rights.’ Constitutional crisis. Hero Lawyers. Stop that plane: The frantic race to halt a deportation. A Q&A With the ACLU. Our New Itinerary. Travel ban causes high anxiety for Milwaukee’s international students. The little-noticed bombshell in Trump’s immigration order. Half Of World’s Refugees Are Running From U.S. Wars. Trump’s First Weeks Leave Washington— and the White House Staff—Panting. The leaks coming out of the Trump White House right now are totally bananas. Yes, all this happened. Gasp! Trust Records Show Trump Is Still Closely Tied to His Empire. Ivanka lied about the leaving the Trump organization too. Make War with Mexico Great Again. Trainwreck in Yemen. Even Australia. Onward to Iran! 14 Versions Of Trump’s Presidency, From #MAGA To Impeachment. Trump and the Republicans Are on a Suicide Mission Together. Editing Trump. Authoritarian Government Watch. We just let this one go without even making a big deal about it. And this one was crazy too! A Series of Unfortunate Events. This is fine. This is fine. This is fine. Seems legit. This is not normal. #TheResistance. A Reader for Trumplandia. Trump: A Resister’s Guide. SNL 1, 2, 3. Oh man. The law, in its majestic equality. 4 in 10. A whole year? Jesus. The numbers. A 3,900 percent increase. It takes 3.5% of a population engaged in sustained nonviolent resistance to topple brutal dictatorships. Here’s how much the anti-Trump protests cost, at Trump paid-turnout rates. Disobey.
* The worst, most terrible things that the United States has done have almost never happened through an assault on American institutions; they’ve always happened through American institutions and practices. These are the elements of the American polity that have offered especially potent tools and instruments of intimidation and coercion: federalism, the separation of powers, social pluralism, and the rule of law. All the elements of the American experience that liberals and conservatives have so cherished as bulwarks of American freedom have also been sources and instruments of political fear. In all the cases I looked at, coercion, intimidation, repression, and violence were leveraged through these mechanisms, not in spite of them.
* There is a style of political reasoning which the Trump moment lends itself to, which can be called conspiracism. Against omniscience.
* Football players at private institutions in college sports’ most competitive level are employees, the National Labor Relations Board’s general counsel stated this week, and will be treated as such if they seek protection against unfair labor practices.
Okay so this really *is* like a news story straight out of Black Mirror – right down to the ending. pic.twitter.com/RrFaQ4SH3W
— Charlie Brooker (@charltonbrooker) February 1, 2017
* Other Space, the best SF series no one but me watched.
* Marquette in the ne — come on, again?
* And like Nietzsche said: it is forgetting, not remembering, that makes life possible.
Written by gerrycanavan
February 5, 2017 at 9:00 am
Posted in Look at what I found on the Internet
Tagged with #NoBan, #NoDAPL, 1984, A Series of Unfortunate Events, academia, academic boycotts, academic freedom, ACLU, Adam Kotsko, Afrofuturism, Alpha Centauri, alt right, America, Andy Warhol, animal rights, animals, animation, artificial intelligence, Australia, authoritarianism, basketball, Ben Shapiro, Berkeley, Black Mirror, brands, canon, cats, Charlie Brooker, Chris Ware, circuses, class strugle, cockroaches, college football, college sports, comics, conservativism, conspiracy theory, cults, decolonization, deforestation, Delaware, democracy, Disney, disobey, Donald Trump, dreams, drones, Electoral College, Facebook, fascism, FedEx, forgetting, free speech, games, general election 2020, general strike, George Herriman, George Orwell, guns, How the University Works, immigration, impeachment, infrastructure, intergenerational struggle, Iran, Islamophobia, JCC, Kafka, Kellyanne Conway, kids today, Krazy Kat, labor, Lemony Snicket, Locked-In Syndrome, maps, Marquette, Mars, Mexico, military-industrial complex, Milo Yiannopoulous, Milwaukee, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota, Mountain Goats, Nazis, NBA, NCAA, Neil Gorsuch, Nietzsche, Nintendo, NLRB, Other Space, our brains work in interesting ways, outer space, Paul Feig, Phobos, poker, politics, protest, Reddit, refugees, resistance, Ringling Brothers, riots, Saturday Night Live, science, science fiction, SFRA, sleep, social media, spaceships, Standing Rock, Star Wars, stress, strikes, Supreme Court, Tennessee, text adventures, the Cabinet, the Constitution, the courts, the filibuster, the Holocaust, the Jedi, the kids are all right, the law, the Senate, the stock market, this is why we can't have nice things, TIAA-CREF, Twitter, UWM, Vaughn Prison, Venn diagrams, Virginia, voting, war huh good god y'all what is it good for? absolutely nothing say it again, white nationalism, white supremacy, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin, Won't somebody think of the children?, Yemen, Zelda