Posts Tagged ‘Mountain Goats’
* C21’s schedule for next year. Looks great.
* John Darnielle teases the Mountain Goats’s new album, Transcendent Youth.
* Maybe Christie has been listening to Springsteen’s lyrics: “The war on drugs, while well-intentioned, has been a failure. We’re warehousing addicted people everyday in state prisons in New Jersey, giving them no treatment.”
* Maybe if we write Obama a nice long love letter he’ll stop killing so many people all the time. Tom Junod investigates.
* Nullification watch: Texas tees up.
* That’ll solve it: According to an article in a Louisiana newspaper, the state will not require voucher-receiving schools to have certified teachers, to have modern technology or to accept students with disabilities.
* And the Internet has been perfected. You can all go home now. Superman’s strut will live forever.
* The Non Sports Fan’s Guide to Maybe Enjoying the Super Bowl. A List of Things to Say to Sound as if You Understand the Super Bowl, Dummy. Go… Giants? I think I have that right.
* The set list from last night’s fantastic Mountain Goats show in Saxapahaw. And from Vu, an interesting New York Magazine read on Mountain Goats superfandom from 2009.
* The headline reads, “No kidney transplant for dying East Bay dad who is illegal immigrant.”
There were 2900 temperature records set in the United States in January. Exxon Mobil reported yesterday that its quarterly profits had increased to $9.6 billion on revenues of over $70 billion. It’s 60 degrees on February 1 in New York City. These facts are connected. I continue to think that one reason Bloomberg evicted OWS was that he lost patience with waiting for it to get cold enough to drive the Occupiers out.
I have proposed that “debt is death.” It sounds a bit melodramatic. You can in fact map connections between the debt-financed globalized industries, direct violence caused by their expansion, and the indirect but nonetheless deadly violences of climate change.
Some upcoming events that might be of interest to my fellow Durhamites:
* Laurence Dubois will be running a very cool soccer and politics series all semester at Duke, including screenings of Zidane and The Other Final. (Thanks, DF!)