Posts Tagged ‘the law’
Trump’s Muslim Ban Triggers Chaos, Heartbreak, and Resistance. Unknown number of U.S. permanent residents stuck overseas as a result of Trump’s immigration ban. Trump Visa Ban Also Applies to Foreigners With More Than One Passport, State Department Says. Inside the confusion of the Trump executive order and travel ban. Trump redefines the enemy and 15 years of counterterrorism policy. Malevolence Tempered by Incompetence. Could affect up to 500,000. This Is a Constitutional Crisis. Heartbreaking Refugee Stories Following Trump’s Muslim Ban. A Yazidi Refugee, Stranded at the Airport by Trump. Warm Welcome for Syrians in a Country About to Ban Them. Anne Frank and her family were also denied entry as refugees to the U.S. Boston-area academics are facing bans on entering US. University Of Michigan Defies Trump By Refusing To Release Immigration Status Of Students. Trump’s anti-immigration orders are ‘inhuman,’ says Newark archbishop. There Have Been No Fatal Terror Attacks In The U.S. By Immigrants From The 7 Banned Muslim Countries. Middle Eastern immigrants to U.S. confront upended lives. Hours after Trump signs Muslim ban, Texas mosque goes up in flames. The Lawyers Showed Up. Judge Blocks Trump Order on Refugees Amid Chaos and Outcry Worldwide. After His Own Lawyers Can’t Justify It. Giuliani not even pretending. Yes Netflix, yes Lyft, no Uber. Nothing can express more contempt for the ideology of legal immigration than what Trump has now done. Even the war machine doesn’t like it. A few hundred of my tweets from yesterday, if you want more. Donate to the IRC and the ACLU, if you can.
* An excerpt from the conversation between Tim Morton and Jeff VanderMeer from my and Andy Hageman’s issue of Paradoxa is up at LARB. You can read our introduction too! The issue has been printed and will be on its way to subscribers (and available for purchase) soon.
* acting as if nothing terrible has happened
is a failed strategy you yell and this docility
has ruined and crushed us and afraid as I am
I cannot hold your vehemence against you
at this political moment as I watch you dig
your fingers into the rubble you’re sitting on
and you say maybe it’s impossible to believe
in politeness or civilization anymore…
* Ken Liu’s “Paper Menagerie” is the first story to hit the Hugo / Nebula / World Fantasy Award trifecta. Read it!
* Being a parent really is a second childhood: I’m even terrified of nuclear war again. “A tense new battle over nuclear arms erupts between Donald Trump and his staff.” Tweeting our way to Armageddon.
* Ted Chiang talks adapting Arrival.
* Looking back: The collapse of the Obama coalition. What could explain it? More data that couldn’t possibly explain it. Having presided over the catastrophic collapse of his party and the possible end of American democracy, Obama gives himself high marks. Why Did Planned Parenthood Supporters Vote Trump?
*A consummate bullshit artist, Bucky Fuller’s career was built on failure, if not outright fraud. With few of his ideas achieving commercial success, he amounted to nothing more than a hand-waving proponent of outlandish notions. Worse still, he was an aggressive manager of his own profile and patents, an authoritarian technocrat who sought not students but compliant disciples to disseminate his muddled messages. The lynchpin of this view: even the geodesic dome, Fuller’s greatest “success,” rested on a concept borrowed (to be charitable) from an aspiring student sculptor. Buckminster Fuller in the 21st Century.
* Don’t make the joke, don’t make the joke: Sex robots will ‘come a lot sooner than you think’, scientist claims.
* Elsewhere in the rise of the machines.
* A&E Cancels KKK Docuseries Following Criticism. That whole network needs a Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
* BREAKING: All pro sports are bad.
* Actually, my speciality is evil ethics.
* They did it: They found the worst Star Wars take.
* Meanwhile, in Japan: Can the Emperor abdicate?
* And wherever we are on the political spectrum: let’s give the giant meteor a chance.
The Xenofeminist Manifesto, published by the feminist collective Laboria Cuboniks lays out a new framework for technology’s role in social progress. “Why is there so little explicit, organized effort to repurpose technologies for progressive gender political ends?” the authors ask. “The real emancipatory potential of technology remains unrealized… the ultimate task lies in engineering technologies to combat unequal access to reproductive and pharmacological tools, environmental cataclysm, economic instability, as well as dangerous forms of unpaid/underpaid labor.” This reframing of technology requires a politics that does not shy away from scale and complexity.
* The Strange History of Talossa, a Bedroom That Was Also a Country. Milwaukee’s own!
* Indeed, North Carolina does so poorly on the measures of legal framework and voter registration, that on those indicators we rank alongside Iran and Venezuela. When it comes to the integrity of the voting district boundaries no country has ever received as low a score as the 7/100 North Carolina received. North Carolina is not only the worst state in the USA for unfair districting but the worst entity in the world ever analyzed by the Electoral Integrity Project.
* “Even if we darken the sky with hundreds or thousands of satellites and interceptors, there’s no way to ensure against a dedicated attack,” Montague said in an interview. “So it’s an opportunity to waste a prodigious amount of money.” This is fine. The
Slim Pickins Trump Doctrine. In 1987, he set out to solve the world’s biggest problem. How World War III became possible.
* [fingers crossed] please don’t be an academic, please don’t be an academic — aw damnit
* Must-read article from 1983: Tuition Hikes in Store at Some State Universities.
* Huge, if true: The CIA Is Not Your Friend.
* In a time without heroes, they were: The Rockettes (2021).
* The law, in its majestic equality… Appeals court vacates ‘unconscionable’ life sentence for New Orleans man over theft of $15 from ‘bait vehicle.’
* And friends, I’m here to tell you, it only gets worse from here.