Posts Tagged ‘women’s strike’
* America divided into states with the population of California. Which is to say, if we allow ourselves a crudely democratic understanding of what representative democracy should be, there would only be 16 senators in a Senate that fairly represented people living in California.
The Democratic Party is a roach motel for leftists. We go in full of vision and energy, like the Sanders kids, like the Ellison supporters, and we get crushed and stuck in the slime. Sanders and Ellison had to play by the rules and call for continuing support for the Dems after their losses. Having played the game, they were stuck with the rules in the roach motel. Once you go in, you may never come out.
* Palantir and ICE. Freeze on H-1B Visas. Customs Giving Literacy Tests At JFK Is A Thing Now. Deportation fears impacting criminal case. Don’t Get Your Undocumented Friends in Trouble: A How-To. Are you listening, SXSW?
* White House aide Sebastian Gorka said Wednesday that objections to President Donald Trump’s creation of a new office to highlight crimes committed by undocumented immigrants are “un-American.” All right, then, I’ll go to Hell….
* “Accompanied by his wife Jessica, a U.S. citizen who is six months pregnant with their first child.” Trump administration considering separating women, children at U.S.-Mexico border. Detained after a press conference, Daniela Vargas was seven when she came to the U.S. A 13-Year-Old Girl Sobbed While Recording Her Immigrant Father Get Arrested By ICE Agents. ICE Plans To Deport Oregon Immigrant With 5 Children, No Criminal Background. Immigration agents deport Houston father of two who previously held immigration reprieve. After Decades In The U.S., NY Immigrant With Years-Old Pot Misdemeanor Faces Deportation. Does even a single person with a conscience work for this administration?
* Kushner and Flynn. Two other Trump advisers also spoke with Russian envoy during GOP convention. Your cheat sheet to four potential investigations of Russia and President Trump. Mysteries of Jeff Sessions. Recusal is not enough. Isn’t it pretty to think so? The Innocent Explanation. Why Trump Sounding ‘Presidential’ Only Makes Him More Dangerous. Style and Substance. Trumpism and heroism. You Cretins Are Going To Get Thousands Of People Killed. This one broke while I was tagging the post.
Jeff Sessions looks like a child that got turned into an old man for stealing a pie from a witch's window sill. pic.twitter.com/NxNQZURRjk
— Adam Murray (@Atom_Murray) February 9, 2017
y'all, i apologize. i got so excited to do racism that i slipped up and did a dang perjury! pic.twitter.com/sl04VNuTeG
— ceeks (@70Ceeks) March 2, 2017
* Hard to blame them: European Parliament votes to end visa-free travel for Americans.
* Four mosques have burned in seven weeks. Nearly half of the country’s Jewish community centers have received bomb threats in 2017. Today’s arrest (an apparent copycat) covered less than 10% of that.
* Destroying the planet is too important to let a silly little thing like national borders get in the way. The end of the Great Lakes. Gutting the Chesapeake Bay. Massive Permafrost Thaw Documented in Canada, Portends Huge Carbon Release. Antarctica hits record high temperature at balmy 63.5°F.
— Gerry Canavan (@gerrycanavan) March 1, 2017
* The rich are different: they control everything.
* Fascinated by this: Price of Lab-Grown Burger Falls from $325K to $11.36.
* A rough stat from up the street: Only 1 in 5 black students enrolled at UW-Milwaukee graduates in 6 years.
Could different borders save Europe? Ethnographic maps suggest an alternative to the continent's current configuration of artificial states pic.twitter.com/eAETsKtoVI
— Nicholas Danforth (@NicholasDanfort) March 2, 2017
* “We concluded that Ms. Conway acted inadvertently and is highly unlikely to do so again,” he wrote. “Ms. Conway has acknowledged her understanding of the standards and has reiterated her commitment to abiding by them in the future.”
* After oil was discovered on their Oklahoma reservation, the Osage Nation became the richest people per capita in the world. Then they began to be murdered off mysteriously. In 1924 the nascent FBI sent a team of undercover agents, including a Native American, to the Osage reservation.
this is the future that liberals want pic.twitter.com/Ha8vbroPoU
— o_O (@franglophonic) March 2, 2017
This is the future liberals want. pic.twitter.com/9iH1ddpgqV
— Dan Hassler-Forest (@DanHF) March 2, 2017
This is the future that liberals want. pic.twitter.com/68FVp6pv5v
— Freddie Campion (@FreddieCampion) March 2, 2017
This is the future that liberals want. pic.twitter.com/YfA08Konou
— Maris Kreizman (@mariskreizman) March 2, 2017
Too good to remain hidden behind an anon account: This is the future liberals want. pic.twitter.com/vpWKBFzWkx
— Gerry Canavan (@gerrycanavan) March 2, 2017
* But not this one: “basically a Fitbit for your man bits that tracks thrust speed and velocity.”
* Disney is super proud of itself for this incredibly progressive leap forward. Next: Scar, Ursula, and Captain Hook were all gay, too!
* There’s nothing sweet in life: Protesting Dr. Seuss Week.
die in jail serving consecutive life sentences or live long enough to become a beloved grandfatherly elder statesman https://t.co/DDorNHjHOb
— Gerry Canavan (@gerrycanavan) March 2, 2017
* This week’s I Was There Too interviews someone I’ve always wondered about, the actor who replaced Crispin Glover in Back to the Future Part Two. The Biff episode was good too though if you follow Back to the Future arcana you’ve probably heard a lot of it before.
— Gerry Canavan (@gerrycanavan) March 4, 2017
* Neoliberalism in everything: “Ark Encounter doesn’t live up to economic promise.”
Written by gerrycanavan
March 4, 2017 at 9:00 am
Posted in Look at what I found on the Internet
Tagged with #NoDAPL, 69 Cock Lane, academia, actually existing media bias, Adam Roberts, America, Angela Davis, Antarctica, anti-Semitism, art, Attorney General, authoritarianism, autocracy, Back to the Future, Back to the Future II, banality of evil, Barack Obama, Breath of the Wind, Bush, California, cancer, CFPs, Chesapeake Bay, CIA, class struggle, climate change, college, college basketball, comedy, corruption, Daria, David Frum, democracy, Democrats, Department of Justice, deportation, diabetes, Disney, Donald Trump, Dr. Seuss, Duke, ecology, England, EPA, equality, espionage, Europe, Expanded Universe, fascism, FBI, feminist bookstores, Foucault, futurity, games, gay rights, general election 2020, general strike, Golden State Warriors, Great Lakes, H. G. Wells, Harvard, How did we survive the Cold War?, How the University Works, Hugo awards, I Was There Too, ice, ice sheet collapse, immigration, income equality, Iowa, Islamophobia, Jared Kushner, JCCs, Jeff Sessions, job creation, journamalism, Kellyanne Conway, Keystone XL, Kim Stanley Robinson, lab-grown meat, liberals, Lord of the Rings, love, maps, Marquette, mass incarceration, memes, meritocracy, Mexico, Michael Flynn, Milwaukee, MOOCs, moral panics, mosques, murder, NASA, NBA, neoliberalism, Nintendo, Nintendo Switch, Noah's Ark, nuclear war, nuclearity, oil, Oprah, oral histories, Osage Nation, Palantir, parenting, Patrick Stewart, permafrost, Peter Thiel, podcasts, politics, prison, prison-industrial complex, protest, Putin, race, racism, radiation, Rate My Professor, resistance, roach motels, Robert Heinlein, Russia, sabotage, sanctuary campuses, science fiction, sea level rise, sex, Sizzler, slavery, sleep, smart condoms, Star Trek, Star Wars, Starship Troopers, State of the Union, Steve Martin, strikes, SXSW, terrorism, The Hobbit, the news, the rich are different, the Senate, The Time Machine, theory, this is the future liberals want, this is why we can't have nice things, Tolkien, totalitarianism, transgender issues, Trappist-1, true crime, undercommons, UWM, visas, voice, wiretapping, Wisconsin, women's strike, Yuuzhan Vong, Zelda
@casskhaw self-insertion fanfic about being a college English professor, beloved novelist and also banging coeds
— Dr. NerdLove (@DrNerdLove) February 18, 2017
* I realized I’d never gotten around to adding Paradoxa 28 to the sidebar. Check it out, if you haven’t yet!
* Cuban highlighted English, philosophy, and foreign language majors as just some of the majors that will do well in the future job market. “The nature of jobs is changing,” Cuban said.
* Style guide: the look of white supremacy.
* This was beautiful: Coed CYO hoops team defies archdiocese order to kick girls out, forfeits season.
“Is your decision to play the game without the two young ladies on the team, or do you want to stay as a team as you have all year?” asked parent Matthew Dohn. “Show of hands for play as a team?”
Eleven hands shot up in unison. No one raised a hand when asked the alternative.
Assistant coach Keisha Martel, who is also the mom of one of the girls, Kayla Martel, reminded the team of the consequences. They had been told that playing the girls would mean the rest of the season would be forfeited.
“But if the girls play, this will be the end of your season. You won’t play in the playoffs,” she warned.
“It doesn’t matter,” one boy replied and others echoed, before the team began to chant, “Unity!”
In the crowd, supporters cheered along. Several parents began to cry.
* What It Feels Like When Your World Ends: Rebecca Evans on Black Wave.
* The Trump White House Is Screwed, Big League. Justice Department warned White House that Flynn could be vulnerable to Russian blackmail, officials say. Trump Campaign Aides Had Repeated Contacts With Russian Intelligence. Warren v. Flynn. Taking a Step Back. The Fog of Trump. What a Failed Trump Administration Looks Like. Republicans Won’t Stand Up and Stop President Trump. So you want to brief the president. That’s a hell of an act. Democrats Demand Mar-A-Lago Membership List. As Presidents Live Longer, Doctors Debate Whether To Test For Dementia. Authoritarian government watch: 6/10. The Great Government Breakdown Has Begun. A New Breakthrough in the History of the “S—gibbon.” Trump Official Obsessed Over Nuclear Apocalypse, Men’s Style, Fine Wines in 40,000 Posts on Fashion Style. The press conference from Hell. Is It Time to Call Trump Mentally Ill? Admit it: Trump is unfit to serve. ‘President Supervillain’ Puts Trump’s Quotes in Red Skull’s Mouth, and It’s Disturbingly Perfect.
* Russia has secretly deployed a new cruise missile that American officials say violates a landmark arms control treaty, posing a major test for President Trump as his administration is facing a crisis over its ties to Moscow.
* ICE detains a woman at a courthouse receiving an order of protection, likely after receiving a tip from her alleged abuser. ICE shows up at a women’s shelter. ICE Agents Arrest Men Leaving Alexandria Church Shelter. Why Did ICE Arrest & Imprison a 23-Year-Old DREAMer and DACA Recipient Living Legally in the U.S.? Trump Considering Using National Guard for Immigration Raids. How new is this? Is ICE Out of Control?
* Well this all seems in order: EPA nominee Scott Pruitt won’t say if he would recuse himself from his own lawsuits against the agency. He’s since been confirmed, of course.
"21st century history isn't one of my strong points. Too depressing."
– Dr. Bashir #DS9 "Past Tense, Pt 1"
— Robert Hewitt Wolfe (@writergeekrhw) November 9, 2016
* Same joke but new study confirms that voter ID laws are very racist.
* Academics, your moment is here: Depression Is an Unlikely Advantage in the Fight Against Fascism.
* I’ll allow it: There’s Going to Be a Mystery Science Theater 3000 Comic Book.
* So preoccupied with whether they could, etc: Woolly mammoth on the verge of resurrection, scientists say.
Nothing sums up the contemporary moment better than this pic of a rich donor posing with a doomsday device at the president's private club pic.twitter.com/5bRukHdSzp
— John Carl Baker (@johncarlbaker) February 13, 2017
* Though this one is pretty good too.
* What if we pretended something that was obviously an effect of wealth were biological? I think it might look a little something like…
* Obamacare Repeal Could Cripple Efforts To Combat The Opioid Epidemic. Paul Ryan wants to bring back lifetime limits. Millions now rely on these plans, and we should defend them until we can win something better. But we also shouldn’t entertain any illusions: the ACA marketplaces rest on a flawed health care ideology that tellingly attracts many adherents on the Right, including Ryan.
* News you can use: The 8 Most Inaccurate Depictions of Mars Ever Put on Film.
* Marquette in the news! Marquette Law alum chosen as the first black Bachelorette.
* Lost Essay Reveals Winston Churchill Was Almost Certain Aliens Exist. He met the Daleks! It’s canon.
* “I understand that they feel like that is their body,” he said of women. “I feel like it is a separate — what I call them is, is you’re a ‘host.’ And you know when you enter into a relationship you’re going to be that host and so, you know, if you pre-know that then take all precautions and don’t get pregnant,” he explained. “So that’s where I’m at. I’m like, hey, your body is your body and be responsible with it. But after you’re irresponsible then don’t claim, well, I can just go and do this with another body, when you’re the host and you invited that in.”
* Another apocalypse: The oceans are losing oxygen.
* The New Star Wars: Aftermath Novel Reveals the Pitiful Fate of Jar Jar Binks. This bummed me out a lot, actually.
Written by gerrycanavan
February 18, 2017 at 9:00 am
Posted in Look at what I found on the Internet
Tagged with abortion, academia, academic jobs, actually existing media bias, airports, America, animal intelligence, animals, apocalypse, arms control, artificial intelligence, assassination, Audre Lorde, authoritarianism, autocracy, basketball, Black Wave, border patrol, Captain America, chaos, class, class struggle, climate change, college, comics, deep state, democracy, deportation, depression, disability, Doctor Who, dogs, domestic violence, drugs, dystopia, ecology, English majors, EPA, fascism, free speech, Futurama, games, general election 2020, genre, geoengineering, head transplants, health care, Hillary Clinton, history, How the University Works, humanities, ice, immigration, Jar Jar Binks, jobs, justice, K Street, Karel Čapek, kids today, labor, Latinos, LEGO, lifetime limits, literary fiction, lobbying, Los Angeles, love, Mark Cuban, Marquette, Mars, medicine, mental illness, Michael Flynn, Milwaukee, music, Mystery Science Theater 3000, national security, neoliberalism, Nnedi Okorafor, North Korea, nuclearity, oceans, Octavia Butler, Oklahoma, oxgyen collapse, Parable of the Sower, Paul Ryan, pedagogy, police state, politics, pregnancy, protest, Putin, race, racism, reality television, Red Skull, resistance, Russia, science fiction, science is magic, Scott Pruitt, sexiness, sports, squids, Star Trek, Star Wars, Suicide Squad, supervillains, teaching, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, the Constitution, the Daleks, the deletionists, The Handmaid's Tale, the prequels, totalitarianism, toys, Trump, tyranny, Van Halen, voter ID, war huh good god y'all what is it good for? absolutely nothing say it again, War with the Newts, wealth, white people, white supremacy, Wikipedia, Winston Churchill, women, women's strike, woolly mammoth, work