Posts Tagged ‘Osage Nation’
* America divided into states with the population of California. Which is to say, if we allow ourselves a crudely democratic understanding of what representative democracy should be, there would only be 16 senators in a Senate that fairly represented people living in California.
The Democratic Party is a roach motel for leftists. We go in full of vision and energy, like the Sanders kids, like the Ellison supporters, and we get crushed and stuck in the slime. Sanders and Ellison had to play by the rules and call for continuing support for the Dems after their losses. Having played the game, they were stuck with the rules in the roach motel. Once you go in, you may never come out.
* Palantir and ICE. Freeze on H-1B Visas. Customs Giving Literacy Tests At JFK Is A Thing Now. Deportation fears impacting criminal case. Don’t Get Your Undocumented Friends in Trouble: A How-To. Are you listening, SXSW?
* White House aide Sebastian Gorka said Wednesday that objections to President Donald Trump’s creation of a new office to highlight crimes committed by undocumented immigrants are “un-American.” All right, then, I’ll go to Hell….
* “Accompanied by his wife Jessica, a U.S. citizen who is six months pregnant with their first child.” Trump administration considering separating women, children at U.S.-Mexico border. Detained after a press conference, Daniela Vargas was seven when she came to the U.S. A 13-Year-Old Girl Sobbed While Recording Her Immigrant Father Get Arrested By ICE Agents. ICE Plans To Deport Oregon Immigrant With 5 Children, No Criminal Background. Immigration agents deport Houston father of two who previously held immigration reprieve. After Decades In The U.S., NY Immigrant With Years-Old Pot Misdemeanor Faces Deportation. Does even a single person with a conscience work for this administration?
* Kushner and Flynn. Two other Trump advisers also spoke with Russian envoy during GOP convention. Your cheat sheet to four potential investigations of Russia and President Trump. Mysteries of Jeff Sessions. Recusal is not enough. Isn’t it pretty to think so? The Innocent Explanation. Why Trump Sounding ‘Presidential’ Only Makes Him More Dangerous. Style and Substance. Trumpism and heroism. You Cretins Are Going To Get Thousands Of People Killed. This one broke while I was tagging the post.
Jeff Sessions looks like a child that got turned into an old man for stealing a pie from a witch's window sill. pic.twitter.com/NxNQZURRjk
— Adam Murray (@Atom_Murray) February 9, 2017
y'all, i apologize. i got so excited to do racism that i slipped up and did a dang perjury! pic.twitter.com/sl04VNuTeG
— ceeks (@70Ceeks) March 2, 2017
* Hard to blame them: European Parliament votes to end visa-free travel for Americans.
* Four mosques have burned in seven weeks. Nearly half of the country’s Jewish community centers have received bomb threats in 2017. Today’s arrest (an apparent copycat) covered less than 10% of that.
* Destroying the planet is too important to let a silly little thing like national borders get in the way. The end of the Great Lakes. Gutting the Chesapeake Bay. Massive Permafrost Thaw Documented in Canada, Portends Huge Carbon Release. Antarctica hits record high temperature at balmy 63.5°F.
— Gerry Canavan (@gerrycanavan) March 1, 2017
* The rich are different: they control everything.
* Fascinated by this: Price of Lab-Grown Burger Falls from $325K to $11.36.
* A rough stat from up the street: Only 1 in 5 black students enrolled at UW-Milwaukee graduates in 6 years.
Could different borders save Europe? Ethnographic maps suggest an alternative to the continent's current configuration of artificial states pic.twitter.com/eAETsKtoVI
— Nicholas Danforth (@NicholasDanfort) March 2, 2017
* “We concluded that Ms. Conway acted inadvertently and is highly unlikely to do so again,” he wrote. “Ms. Conway has acknowledged her understanding of the standards and has reiterated her commitment to abiding by them in the future.”
* After oil was discovered on their Oklahoma reservation, the Osage Nation became the richest people per capita in the world. Then they began to be murdered off mysteriously. In 1924 the nascent FBI sent a team of undercover agents, including a Native American, to the Osage reservation.
this is the future that liberals want pic.twitter.com/Ha8vbroPoU
— o_O (@franglophonic) March 2, 2017
This is the future liberals want. pic.twitter.com/9iH1ddpgqV
— Dan Hassler-Forest (@DanHF) March 2, 2017
This is the future that liberals want. pic.twitter.com/68FVp6pv5v
— Freddie Campion (@FreddieCampion) March 2, 2017
This is the future that liberals want. pic.twitter.com/YfA08Konou
— Maris Kreizman (@mariskreizman) March 2, 2017
Too good to remain hidden behind an anon account: This is the future liberals want. pic.twitter.com/vpWKBFzWkx
— Gerry Canavan (@gerrycanavan) March 2, 2017
* But not this one: “basically a Fitbit for your man bits that tracks thrust speed and velocity.”
* Disney is super proud of itself for this incredibly progressive leap forward. Next: Scar, Ursula, and Captain Hook were all gay, too!
* There’s nothing sweet in life: Protesting Dr. Seuss Week.
die in jail serving consecutive life sentences or live long enough to become a beloved grandfatherly elder statesman https://t.co/DDorNHjHOb
— Gerry Canavan (@gerrycanavan) March 2, 2017
* This week’s I Was There Too interviews someone I’ve always wondered about, the actor who replaced Crispin Glover in Back to the Future Part Two. The Biff episode was good too though if you follow Back to the Future arcana you’ve probably heard a lot of it before.
— Gerry Canavan (@gerrycanavan) March 4, 2017
* Neoliberalism in everything: “Ark Encounter doesn’t live up to economic promise.”
Written by gerrycanavan
March 4, 2017 at 9:00 am
Posted in Look at what I found on the Internet
Tagged with #NoDAPL, 69 Cock Lane, academia, actually existing media bias, Adam Roberts, America, Angela Davis, Antarctica, anti-Semitism, art, Attorney General, authoritarianism, autocracy, Back to the Future, Back to the Future II, banality of evil, Barack Obama, Breath of the Wind, Bush, California, cancer, CFPs, Chesapeake Bay, CIA, class struggle, climate change, college, college basketball, comedy, corruption, Daria, David Frum, democracy, Democrats, Department of Justice, deportation, diabetes, Disney, Donald Trump, Dr. Seuss, Duke, ecology, England, EPA, equality, espionage, Europe, Expanded Universe, fascism, FBI, feminist bookstores, Foucault, futurity, games, gay rights, general election 2020, general strike, Golden State Warriors, Great Lakes, H. G. Wells, Harvard, How did we survive the Cold War?, How the University Works, Hugo awards, I Was There Too, ice, ice sheet collapse, immigration, income equality, Iowa, Islamophobia, Jared Kushner, JCCs, Jeff Sessions, job creation, journamalism, Kellyanne Conway, Keystone XL, Kim Stanley Robinson, lab-grown meat, liberals, Lord of the Rings, love, maps, Marquette, mass incarceration, memes, meritocracy, Mexico, Michael Flynn, Milwaukee, MOOCs, moral panics, mosques, murder, NASA, NBA, neoliberalism, Nintendo, Nintendo Switch, Noah's Ark, nuclear war, nuclearity, oil, Oprah, oral histories, Osage Nation, Palantir, parenting, Patrick Stewart, permafrost, Peter Thiel, podcasts, politics, prison, prison-industrial complex, protest, Putin, race, racism, radiation, Rate My Professor, resistance, roach motels, Robert Heinlein, Russia, sabotage, sanctuary campuses, science fiction, sea level rise, sex, Sizzler, slavery, sleep, smart condoms, Star Trek, Star Wars, Starship Troopers, State of the Union, Steve Martin, strikes, SXSW, terrorism, The Hobbit, the news, the rich are different, the Senate, The Time Machine, theory, this is the future liberals want, this is why we can't have nice things, Tolkien, totalitarianism, transgender issues, Trappist-1, true crime, undercommons, UWM, visas, voice, wiretapping, Wisconsin, women's strike, Yuuzhan Vong, Zelda