The death of the academic job market really makes the MLA a kind of Children of Men situation.
— Karl Steel (@KarlSteel) January 5, 2017
* Speaking of which! This Saturday morning! Infinite Jest at 20! Join us!
* In my mailbox: Fueling Culture: 101 Words for Energy and the Environment. I’m a contributor; my word was “addiction.”
* Rebekah Sheldon: Save Us.
* A mystery player causing a stir in the world of the complex strategy game Go has been revealed as an updated version of AlphaGo, the artificial-intelligence (AI) program created by Google’s London-based AI firm, DeepMind.
* Republicans want to kill the mortgage interest deduction. So I’m bankrupt now, I think.
* But while cinephiles have long become used to shelling out their hard-earned wonga to watch the same movie several times over, a new interview with the editors of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story hints that Hollywood’s habit of regurgitation goes further than we imagined. It reveals the film’s initial “cut”, designed to map out the movie before any shooting took place, was cobbled together by editor Colin Goudie using footage from hundreds of other existing films.
* Today in “virtually”: The storage chamber would be much deeper than Lake Huron and the company says there is virtually no chance of radioactive pollution reaching the lake, which is less than a mile away. This is a nice variant on the theme: Democrats to Fight Almost Any Trump Supreme Court Nominee: Schumer.
* Teaching the controversy: MIT Researchers Say 2016 Didn’t Have More Famous Deaths Than Usual. Give 2017 some exciting room to expand.
* We don’t, in fact, know what works in teaching composition. This one was more polemical, but good too I thought: The costs of social capture.
* Among other things, whiteness is a kind of solipsism. From right to left, whites consistently and successfully reroute every political discussion to their identity. The content of this identity, unsurprisingly, is left unexamined and undefined. It is the false foundation of the prototypically American model of pseudo-politics.
Every event feels like potential Reichstag fire. The OSU attack, this Chicago kidnapping, the situation in Whitefish, MT. On the precipice.
— Gerry Canavan (@gerrycanavan) January 5, 2017
* Trump vs. the CIA: whoever wins, we lose. Donald Trump’s Twitter Account Is A Security Disaster Waiting To Happen. And then there’s this.
in the future, every superpower will be ruled by an unhinged narcissist for fifteen minutes
— Gerry Canavan (@gerrycanavan) January 6, 2017
Written by gerrycanavan
January 6, 2017 at 9:00 am
Posted in Look at what I found on the Internet
Tagged with 2016?, 2017, academia, academic job market, actually existing media bias, addiction, adjunctification, adjuncts, animal intelligence, animals, Arnold Schwarzenegger, austerity, bankruptcy, BBC, Canada, Carrie Fischer, celebrity culture, Chicago, chickens, Children of Men, CIA, college football, college majors, computers, David Foster Wallace, decadence, democracy, Donald Trump, drugs, energy, Episode 9, faculty senates, film, Five Thirty Eight, Four Futures, Freddie deBoer, futurity, games, general election 2016, George Lucas, Go, hate crimes, Hillary Clinton, history, How the University Works, Infinite Jest, James Joyce, Jesuits, Lake Huron, Lincoln-Douglas debate, Lord of the Rings, masculinity, math, math gremlins, Milwaukee, misogyny, MIT, MLA, Monty Hall problem, moral panic, mortgage interest deduction, museums, Nate Silver, national security, Nazis, neoliberalism, nuclear waste, nuclearity, oil, originality, pastiche, pedagogy, Peter Frase, pollution, power-pairing, Princess Leia, probability, race, racism, reality television, Rebekah Sheldon, Reichstag fire, reproductive futurity, rhetoric and composition, Rogue One, Russia, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, Schumer, science fiction, Seinfeld, Sherlock, social capture, Soviet Union, sports, Star Wars, subprime mortgages, Supreme Court, syllabi, teaching, The Apprentice, the audacity of narcissism, the Left, Tolkien, tournaments, Trump, Twitter, University of Wisconsin, UVM, voting, white guilt, white privilege, white supremacists, white supremacy, whiteness, winter, Wisconsin, women, writing, zeitgeist