Christmas and/or Fascism Megapost Forever and Ever Links – Part Two!
* Now that’s running it like a sandwich: College Can’t Prove It Taught 16,000 Online Students.
* This was not called execution. It was called retirement.
* Cabinet of Deplorables: Rex Tillerson. Rick Perry. An Intellectual History. Trump and the Late Deciders. Yes, Pence is preferable to Trump. The supermanagerial reich. The Age of Anger. Frightened by Donald Trump? You don’t know the half of it. What do you do when your reporter is personally attacked by the President of the United States? Twitter, Trump’s Ring of Power. This is fine.
* The trail of painkillers leads to West Virginia’s southern coalfields, to places like Kermit, population 392. There, out-of-state drug companies shipped nearly 9 million highly addictive — and potentially lethal — hydrocodone pills over two years to a single pharmacy in the Mingo County town.
* Cover Letter to the Search Committee from My Shadow Self. Eight Excuses I Have Told My Son to Use for His Failure to Hand in English Homework, Excuses I Have Learned Are Acceptable During a Thirty-Year Career in Journalism, Books, and Film.
* Climate change, meet your apocalyptic twin: oceans poisoned by plastic. Real-time interactive map shows the pollution engulfing Earth. The Greater New York City Region Must Plan for “Permanent Flooding.”
* There’s no safe space for kids anywhere: 368 gymnasts allege sexual exploitation.
* Anne Frank may not have been betrayed to Nazis, study finds: Raid that led to her arrest could have been part of investigation into illegal labor or falsified ration coupons.
* By the numbers: the technosphere now weights 30 trillion tons.
* Mr. Thompson confronted the officer in command of the rampaging platoon, Lt. William L. Calley, but was rebuffed. He then positioned the helicopter between the troops and the surviving villagers and faced off against another lieutenant. Mr. Thompson ordered Mr. Colburn to fire his M-60 machine gun at any soldiers who tried to inflict further harm. RIP.
Written by gerrycanavan
December 20, 2016 at 3:03 pm
Posted in Look at what I found on the Internet
Tagged with academia, academic job market, academic jobs, actually existing media bias, Afrofuturism, Aleppo, Anne Frank, apocalypse, Arrival, austerity, authoritarianism, autocracy, basket of deplorables, Billy Joel, Blade Runner, Bob Dylan, books, career services, Christmas, Christmas truce, CIA, City College of San Francisco, class struggle, climate change, Colbert Report, collapse, comedy, comics, Daily Show, Death Star, Democrats, denialism, design, drugs, dystopia, ecology, engineering, English departments, explaintainment, Exploding Head Syndrome, fake news, fascism, FBI, film, fire, first contact, flooding, futurity, general election 2016, Ghost Ship, Google, hacking, health care, Hillary Clinton, How the University Works, ice sheet collapse, institutionalization, Jacobin, James Comey, John Oliver, journalism, Lord of the Rings, maps, massacres, McSweeney's, Michigan, My Lai, Nazis, neoliberalism, New York City, Norm MacDonald, Oakland, obstructionism, online teaching, oxy, Penn, Peter Frase, Philip K. Dick, plastic, podcasts, politics, polls, pollution, post-truth, precrime, psychiatry, quantum mechanics, rape, rape culture, reasons I haven't been writing, REM, Republicans, resistance, retirement, revolution, Rex Tillerson, Rick Perry, Rogue One, Romulans, run it like a sandwich, Russia, Rust Belt, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, science, science fiction, search committees, sex, Shakespeare, smog, Star Trek, syllabi, Syria, the archives, the canon, the Holocaust, The Man in the High Castle, The New Inquiry, the oceans, the SS, the university in ruins, trash, United Nations, Utopia, Vietnam, welfare fraud, Won't somebody think of the children?, Wonder Woman, World War I