* Me, this Saturday afternoon at the Milwaukee Public Library! 150 Years of H.G. Wells in Milwaukee.
* Perhaps, instead of being a parable of Christian salvation, the randomness of the Genius Grants is really a metaphor for our increasingly fragmented and pointless civilization. I didn’t get one either.
* But here’s someone who did! UWM theater artist Anne Basting wins MacArthur Foundation ‘genius’ grant.
* If we’re serious about preventing catastrophic warming, the new study shows, we can’t dig any new coal mines, drill any new fields, build any more pipelines. Not a single one. We’re done expanding the fossil fuel frontier. Our only hope is a swift, managed decline in the production of all carbon-based energy from the fields we’ve already put in production.
* But that’s not all: Climate change is ruining fall.
* 500 Million Yahoo Accounts Hacked. I’m shocked, and disappointed, and the Chinese spammers who stole my data from Yahoo three years ago are shocked and disappointed too.
* Right now, Clinton is over the line by exactly one state. As of this writing, that state — what we also call the tipping-point state — is New Hampshire. But a group of states are closely lumped together, and Pennsylvania,Colorado and Wisconsin have all taken their turn as the tipping-point state in recent weeks.
* New research shows that all present-day non-Africans can trace their origins to a single wave of migrants who left Africa 72,000 years ago, and that indigenous Australians and Papuans are descended directly from the first people to inhabit the continent some 50,000 years ago. That makes them world’s longest running civilization. Some more details here.
* And Nathan Fillion speaks the forbidden truth: Don’t Bring Firefly Back.
This is the scariest letter I have ever received pic.twitter.com/POwxQuzxuj
— David Grossman (@davidgross_man) September 22, 2016
Written by gerrycanavan
September 23, 2016 at 9:00 am
Posted in Look at what I found on the Internet
Tagged with #BlackLivesMatter, 1969, Aborigines, academia, academic freedom, actually existing media bias, adjunctification, adjuncts, advertising, Africa, AIDS, air travel, Amazing Stories, Anne Basting, autumn, Berkeley, brothers, Brothers Karamazov, bullying, cancer, carbon, CFPs, cheating, China, Christianity, civilization, class struggle, climate change, college admissions, comics, couches, creative writing, Dalai Lama, debates, dolls, Donald Trump, Dostoyevsky, Duncan Jones, Electoral College, expertise, Facebook, fall, Firefly, fossil fuels, foundations, Fox News, frauds, general election 2016, genius, genius grants, H. G. Wells, hackers, hacking, Hillary Clinton, hoaxes, How the University Works, I need more hands, IRS, Israel, J-terms, Joss Whedon, journamalism, judging books by their covers, Legacy Virus, MacArthur Foundation, Marquette, Marvel Comics, Milwaukee, Milwaukee Public Library, Moon, Mute, my pedagogical empire, Nate Silver, Nathan Fillion, Nina Riggs, oil, Palestine, podcasts, police, police state, politics, polls, Roger Ailes, scams, science fiction, Serenity, short stories, spammers, standardized testing, stop using Yahoo, syllabi, talks, taxes, teaching, the 1960s, the SAT, theater, true crime, UWM, Wisconsin, X-Men, Yahoo