* Teach the controversy: are students cuddly little bunnies to be drowned, or shot with Glocks? This story is actually worse than even the original reporting indicated.
* I’ve argued here before (I think) that probably the greatest thing for-profit colleges could do to scrub the designation “for-profit” of its negative connotation is to win a few sportsball championships. That’s how traditional not-for-profit colleges did it. There was a time when the idea of a residential college for wealthy young men was considered very strange (and also very effeminate). College sports “butched” up college and it also gave the millions who would never in a million years qualify for admission a fictive relationship with a system that is, by design, unequal. Sportsball and For-Profit Legitimacy.
* The Grand Jury in the Tamir Rice Case May Not Have Taken a Vote on Charges.
* Salary cuts, layoffs at ISIS. Meanwhile, incredible if true accusations from the FBI against a Kent State professor.
* Planet Nine.
* David Bowie and the Anthropocene.
* Making a Murderer’s creators have finally responded to criticisms of missing evidence.
* A French Communist Utopia in Texas.
* Jesuit adjunctivitis.
* Saying “no” at Oberlin.
* Medieval robots.
* Liberalism and eugenics.
* Swedish TV Accidentally Runs Kids’ Show Subtitles On A Political Debate.
* The Big Search to Find Out Where Dogs Come From.
* Coates v. Sanders. Killer Mike vs. Coates. Guthrie v. Trump (Sr.). Meanwhile: Democrats in disarray!
* Bloomberg wants to save everyone from Trump. But a lot of people don’t know who he is.
* Four tendencies in liberalism.
* How One Man Tried to Write Women Out of CRISPR, the Biggest Biotech Innovation in Decades.
* Counterpoint: Harley Quinn is an insanely flawed character almost impossible to reconcile with feminist norms.
* Forget Schrödinger’s Cat: The Latest Quantum Puzzle Is About Three Pigeons in Two Holes.
* Alexander Litvinenko: the man who solved his own murder.
* Chess forbidden in Islam, rules Saudi mufti, but issue not black and white. This part of the history of games I always find fascinating.
* It’s called anthroponuclear multiple worlds theory, and it’s basically my actual cosmology.
* The singular “they” is your word of the year. A chronology of early nonbinary pronouns. A little more. Bring back he’er, him’er, his’er.
* When DoD paid Duke U $335K to investigate ESP in dogs. But more research is required.
* Virtual reality porn, the god that failed.
* Concept art for Episode 8 (not really). At least it might help tide you over.
* What if not having a beard is nonhygenic? Checkmate.
* Plastic to outweigh fish in oceans by 2050, study warns. Meanwhile, the same headline they run every January, just with all the numbers incremented by one.
* Twilight of De Niro. AND BEYOND.
* The end of parking.
* Sold in the room: Orphan Black Writer Making Time-Travel Movie For Netflix.
* A Brief History of Jumbo.
* Good luck, East Coast!
* And it’s possible that there is a “mirror universe” where time moves backwards, say scientists. Of course the poets always knew.