* Don’t forget! The deadline for the SFFTV special issue on the Mad Max franchise is February 1.
* The local beat! The day Milwaukee almost killed the NFL.
* Expert says Michigan officials changed a Flint lead report to avoid federal action. Bernie calls on Snyder to resign. This is how toxic Flint’s water really is.
* A Bonus Keyword for the Age of Austerity this week: Meritocracy.
* The end of Al Jazeera America.
* NYPD Demands a Mere $36,000 “Copying Fee” for Access to Cops’ Body Cam Footage.
* I don’t want to tell anyone how to do their jobs, but this seems sacrilegious to me.
What a time to be alive.
* Lotteryville, USA.
* Rickman, Bowie, and class mobility.
* David Bowie, Nazi.
* Teach the controversy: thebeatlesneverexisted.com
* The latest from KSR: What Will It Take for Humans to Colonize the Milky Way?
* The game’s afoot! Something Is Killing Off America’s Orange Supply.
* The incredible tale of irresponsible chocolate milk research at the University of Maryland.
* A genetic map of the UK.
* Race and the NCAA.
* Girl Suspended for 30 Days Because She Lent Her Inhaler to a Gasping Classmate.
* Throw a save against narcissistic self-regard: “Role-playing Gamers Have More Empathy Than Non-Gamers.”
* Retired Art Teacher Leaves $1.7 Million to the Detroit Institute of Arts.
* Lead and crime, part 83.
* Immediately greenlit.
* 2016 pessimism watch: Democrats are in more trouble than they think. And changing demographics won’t save them.
* For most of human history, the stars told us where we were in space and time. Have we forgotten how to look up?
* My people? 0.0% of Icelanders 25 years or younger believe God created the world, new poll reveals.
* Forever reTumblr.
* And “Late stage capitalism” is the new “Christ, what an asshole.”