* Coming round again soon: The Marquette/UWM Graduate Student Humanities Conference.
* June 18, 1947.
* NIH to Cease Use of Chimpanzees in Research. SeaWorld to end orca shows in San Diego.
* Is it Ethical to Colonize Mars? And more!
* People have been claiming to own the moon for 250 years.
* The New Utopians.
* Kim Stanley Robinson – Rethinking Our Relationship to the Biosphere. Our Generation Ships Will Sink.
* Translating Gender: Ancillary Justice in Five Languages.
* The 7 deadly sins of world-building.
* 5 Must See Sci-Fi Films From Indigenous Filmmakers.
* World Fantasy Award To Abandon Lovecraft Bust.
* Conor Friedersdorf close-reads the videos from Mizzou. The power of the strike. Tressie McMillan Cottam vs. David Simon.
* UNC Fires Two More in Scandal Over Sham Courses.
* In a major shift for California community colleges, the system’s Board of Governors voted Monday to oust the controversial accrediting commission that has overseen campus quality for half a century and is threatening to shut down City College of San Francisco.
* Justice Department could do two-year review of Milwaukee police.
* Many Say High Deductibles Make Their Health Law Insurance All but Useless.
* Working with the conservative estimate that vampires only need to feed once a month, Efthimiou and Gandhi looked at population stats and concluded that vampires would eliminate humans within three years.
* Explaining Your Math: Unnecessary at Best, Encumbering at Worst.
* Michael Bérubé on Humans, Superheroes, Mutants, and People with Disabilities at TEDxPSU.
* A Six-Figure Settlement on Campus Free Speech. What’s Salaita’s Six-Figure Settlement Really Worth? And while I don’t have a crystal ball, I’d be surprised if any university ever tried to pull this kind of stunt again. I’ll take that bet, alas.
* What Open-Access Publishing Actually Costs.
* White People Explain Why They Feel Oppressed.
* The University of Nowhere: The False Promise of “Disruption.”
* I suppose musicalization comes for all of us in its time.
* Parents Have Been Requesting Star Wars Toys for Their Daughters For Decades.
* Kierna Shipka ranks the Bobby Drapers.
* Tolkien criticism today. A reply.
* Earth’s climate entering new ‘permanent reality’ as CO2 hits new high.
* Goodbye, Phobos.
* Maglev! Maglev! Maglev!
* Can the Muppet speak? Jim Henson’s Newly Discovered Journal Reveals The Muppets’ Fascinating Backstory.
* You won’t live to see the final Star Wars movie.
* Teach the controversy: Is BB-8 a boy or a girl?
* An Oral History of the Nerdier Half of Freaks and Geeks.
* John Malkovich and Robert Rodriguez Have Made A Movie No One Will See For 100 Years.
* Now that New Jersey’s law has been signed, there are still ten states in which bestiality has not been outlawed.
* Anne Frank Foundation claims father was “co-author,” extends copyright by decades.
* The Last Child Soldier: “Beasts of No Nation” and the Child-Soldier Narrative.
* Ready for Hillary! The Clintons’ so-called charitable enterprise has served as a vehicle to launder money and to enrich family friends.
* Watch Elmo give Julia Louis-Dreyfus a hard time for cursing on Sesame Street.
* This is a serious political debate that actually happened: Ben Carson would not abort baby Hitler. Jeb Bush: ‘Hell Yeah, I Would’ Kill Baby Hitler.
* And some bad news for my particular demographic: Warped sense of humour ‘can be early sign of dementia.’