Monday Morning Links!
* Chris Ware: Why I Love Comics.
* I just can’t believe “crip theory” is really a brand with staying power, but it’s showing up in job titles now.
* Margaret Atwood on our real-life dystopia: “What really worries me is creeping dictatorship.” Oh, if only it were “creeping!”
* All Things Must Pass: McDonald’s franchisees say the brand is in a ‘deep depression’ and ‘facing its final days.’
* Teach the controversy: Is UC spending too little on teaching, too much on administration? More links below the chart.
* Vox, the website that explains the news, suggests Nordic genetic superiority might explain Denmark’s social institutions. Interesting, but not dispositive! I get that this is supposed to be a troll, but all the same…
* A few days ago, a reddit user posted a thought-experiment about living in Las Vegas and working in San Francisco, commuting four days a week by airplane. Their back-of-the-envelope calculations have them saving about $1100/month.
* I’ll allow it: Larry David Fulfills Destiny, Plays Bernie Sanders In SNL Cold Open. Bonus David Content! Larry David’s Daughter’s Instagram Will Make You Wish She was Your Best Friend.
* I’ve seen this movie: Aer Lingus Passenger Flips Out, Bites Fellow Passenger, Dies.
* And somehow I always knew it would end like this: Japan Engineers Design Robotic Bear to aid in Assisted Suicide.
Written by gerrycanavan
October 19, 2015 at 8:00 am
Posted in Look at what I found on the Internet
Tagged with academia, academic jobs, administrative blight, administrative bloat, air travel, all things must pass, animals, assisted suicide, austerity, beavers, Beowulf, Bernie Sanders, brands, Buck Rogers, California, CFPs, charts, cheese, cheese bandits, Chris Ware, class struggle, Colin McGinn, comics, copyright, crip theory, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Democrats, Denmark, Department of State, dictatorship, disability studies, Dracula, dystopia, eugenics, FBI, Fukushima, general election 2016, ghosts, Grendel, Hillary Clinton, How the University Works, Instagram, Japan, Larry David, Margaret Atwood, Marquette, mass incarceration, McDonald's, megadrought, money, national security, neoliberalism, nuclearity, philosophy, politics, prison-industrial complex, queer theory, robotic bears, robots, Satan, science fiction conference, sexual harassment, Sir Thomas More, SNL, socialism, suicide, the rich are different from you and me, trolls, true crime, University of California, University of Miami, Utopia, Vox, wealth, zombies