An Especially Worthy Entry in Our Ongoing Series of Wednesday Links
* Aaron Bady’s amazing “African Writers in a New World” interview series at Post 45 continues with Teju Cole.
* Daniel Maguire on the McAdams Case at Marquette. Really hard to believe they’ve somehow managed to create a situation where McAdams has the better side of the argument.
* …or live long enough to become the villain: The Vagina Monologues is now reactionary.
* Read the letter the FBI sent MLK to try to convince him to kill himself. Martin Luther King Jr.’s Stint as an Advice Columnist for Ebony Magazine. Happy Robert E. Lee Day! …anytime the same state and culture invites you to worship a human being they tried to kill, we should be suspicious of the ways they want us to remember.
* I think I rediscover this fact with the same surprise every couple of years: In 1991, a Boston University investigatory committee concluded that King had indeed plagiarized parts of his dissertation, but found that it was “impractical to reach, on the available evidence, any conclusions about Dr. King’s reasons for failing to attribute some, but not all, of his sources.” That is, it could have been anything from malicious intent to simple forgetfulness—no one can determine for sure today. They did not recommend a posthumous revocation of his degree, but instead suggested that a letter be attached to the dissertation in the university library noting the passages lacked quotations and citations.
* Neoliberalism and the Degradation of Education (Alternative Routes, Vol. 26). A ton of good links here.
* Coming soon: Keywords for Radicals.
* When the trains stopped coming down the track, Tryon, NC began to crumble, and since then something disappears each day.
* ‘Cultural Marxism’: a uniting theory for rightwingers who love to play the victim. This is a term you see in the comment threads no one is supposed to be reading more and more.
* True crime watch: Milwaukee man says stabbing sister, father was ‘right thing to do.’ Spoiler alert: no.
* I want to believe! Russia Orders Obama: Tell World About Aliens, Or We Will.
* It’s already working! U.S. Air Force Releases Thousands of Pages Of Declassified UFO Files.
* The twilight of a particular organizational form should not be confused with the end of worker organization itself. Institutions are not permanent, but workers’ interest in organization is. And besides, the current model is disappearing whether we like it or not.
* Broken clock watch: Cuomo wants a train to La Guardia.
* A lifetime of being paranoid about this confirmed.
* Sid Meier’s next: Starships.
* And doctors, who have already taken everything from us, want our pizza too. The line must be drawn here!
Written by gerrycanavan
January 21, 2015 at 7:52 am
Posted in Look at what I found on the Internet
Tagged with AAUP, academia, academic fraud, academic freedom, advice, aliens, America, Andrew Cuomo, animals, Barack Obama, Batman, Bill Belichick, Boston University, broken clocks, cities, civilization, class struggle, college sports, comics, cruel optimism, cultural marxism, cultural preservation, die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain, Disney, dissertations, doctors, don't read the comments, drones, dying towns, ecology, empire, fantasy, FBI, feminism, Ferguson, football, gadgets, games, gender, Harley Quinn, history, How the University Works, I want to believe, income inequality, interviews, Israel, James Bond, La Guardia, labor, maps, Marquette, marriage equality, mass extinction, medicine, memory, Milwaukee, misogyny, MLK, murder, NCAA, neoliberalism, New England Patriots, New York, NFL, Noam Chomsky, North Carolina, office supplies, Orphan Black, Palestine, pedagogy, pizza, plagiarism, politics, princesses, protest, radicals, resistance, revolution, Robert E. Lee, Samuel Alito, science fiction, Sid Meier, Star Wars, State of the Union, Steven Salaita, subways, Tatiana Maslany, teaching, Teju Cole, tenure, terrorism, the line must be drawn here, the rich are different, the truth is out there, totalitarianism, trans* issues, true crime, UFOs, UIUC, UNC, unions, University of California, Utopia, Vagina Monologues, war on education, war on terror, words, writing, zunguzungu