Rise and Shine, It’s 2015! Links
* 2014 Kinda Sucked: A Look at Our Slow Descent Into Dystopia. I didn’t think it was all that slow.
* That annual tradition: What Could Have Entered the Public Domain on January 1, 2015?
* B^F: “Ryan North reviews George Gipe’s insane novelization of Back to the Future, published before the book was released.”
* I say teach the controversy: No matter what vernacular is employed, the time has come for other alternatives to the handcuffs, leg irons and waist chains routinely used on incarcerated youth in the District.
* Carcetti for President: Maryland Governor Will Commute All Remaining Death Sentences To Life Without Parole.
* “DA Who Failed to Indict Killer Cop Now GOP Front Runner for Congress.” 2015 starting out great!
* “Girls from a variety of backgrounds were featured within the campaign, reflecting that anyone can embody the spirit and character of Annie.” Oh, Target.
* Look, I get that the football players are angry. I even get that all the boosters who hadn’t stepped up before are now swearing that they would have donated millions of dollars to keep the program alive if only Watts had asked them. But the Faculty Senate? At a bare minimum, shouldn’t they have had the back of a president who wanted to stop draining money from academics into football, even if no one else did? Yeesh.
* “This book review by 13-year-old Eve Kosofsky (later Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick, known for her brilliant work on queer theory) appeared in the January 1964 issue of Seventeen. You’re welcome.”
* White Flint isn’t completely dead, but the outlook is not good. The only stores still in operation are a Lord & Taylor and a P.F. Chang’s. On Jan. 4, the P.F. Chang’s will close. Why I’m Mourning The Death Of A Mall.
* And Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal rings in the New Year right with the Uncomfortable Truthasaurus.