* Chess! Catch the fever!
Heralding what the University of California regents promise will be a new era of pay increases at the public university, the governing board gave 20 percent raises Thursday to their three lowest-paid chancellors – with some regents expressing regret that they could give so little.
* Jersey represent: A New Jersey borough council candidate dropped out of the race on Wednesday after reports surfaced that he mooned patrons at a local diner while yelling racial slurs, according to NJ Advance Media.
* Thomas Frank remembers Occupy.
* Also at the Baffler: U2, Apple, and the Strip-Mining of Punk Rebellion.
* 75 iconic photos from the 21st century, nearly all of them keyed to violence or war.
* The Earth could have 11 billion people by 2100. Looks like the good news on overpopulation was premature.
* 30 Photos of Wisconsin That Will Make You Want To Move There. Catch the fever!
* “That first scene, where he’s in the temple and he’s replacing that statue with a bag of sand – that’s what looters do,” Canuto says, grinning. “[The temple builders] are using these amazing mechanisms of engineering and all he wants to do is steal the stupid gold statue.”
* The New Way Insurers Are Shifting Costs To The Sick. You incorrigible scamps!
* Texas court throws out ‘paternalistic’ ban on ‘upskirt’ photos. Ludicrous outcome.
* Elsewhere in the rule of law: Judge: Hobby Lobby Decision Means Polygamous Sect Member Can Refuse To Testify In Child Labor Case.
* SMBC: Do You Ever Fear Death?
* What could possibly go wrong watch: arming Syrian rebels to fight ISIS, who are also Syrian rebels, but listen, this is all going to turn out great.
* I only pray we can construct the border wall across the Great Lakes in time.
* They say we don’t believe in the future enough to embark on generational projects anymore, but they’re going to try to clean the bathrooms at the Port Authority.
* The kids are a little bit frightening: A Milwaukee teen charged in a string of armed robberies last week told police he was trying to do as many crimes as he could before he turned 18 on Sept. 11.
Written by gerrycanavan
September 19, 2014 at 8:00 am
Posted in Look at what I found on the Internet
Tagged with academia, adjuncts, administrative blight, Apple, archaeology, Barack Obama, border walls, build the dang fence, chess, class struggle, Cloud Atlas, creeps, cultural preservation, David Mitchell, death, Europe, feminism, First Amendment, free speech, games, Great Lakes, Harvard, health insurance, Hobby Lobby, How the University Works, immortality, independence movements, Indiana Jones, Iraq, ISIS, Jacobin, looters, maps, Marquette, Milwaukee, music, New Jersey, New York, Occupy Wall Street, overpopulation, pedagogy, photography, politics, punk, Reddit, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, Scotland, secessionism, single payer, socialism, St. Louis, student evaluations, Syria, teaching, Texas, The Bone Clocks, the courts, the law, the neverending bullshit of the pundit class, The Onion, The Walking Dead, true crime, U2, unions, United Kingdom, University of California, University of Wisconsin, upskirt photography, Vermont, war huh good god y'all what is it good for? absolutely nothing say it again, Wisconsin, zombies