* The bottom line of the neoliberal assault on the universities is the increasing power of management and the undermining of faculty self-governance. The real story behind MOOCs may be the ways in which they assist management restructuring efforts of core university practices, under the smiley-faced banner of “open access” and assisted in some cases by their “superstar”, camera-ready professors.
* Preparing for the apocalypse: Last November, after five years of remarkable negotiations that unfolded far from the Delta, representatives from the U.S. and Mexico agreed to a complex, multi-part water deal that will give them desperately needed flexibility for weathering the drought. Adjusting to the Apocalypse.
* Aeon has an essay trying to think up some way we could include the people of the future in the politics of the present without just resolving to be morally decent to them.
* No-one-could-have-predicted watch: Employers Eye Moving Sickest Workers To Insurance Exchanges.
* But two decades since the schools began to appear, educators from both systems concede that very little of what has worked for charter schools has found its way into regular classrooms. Testy political battles over space and money, including one that became glaringly public in New York State this spring, have inhibited attempts at collaboration. The sharing of school buildings, which in theory should foster communication, has more frequently led to conflict. And some charter schools have veered so sharply from the traditional model — with longer school years, armies of nonunion workers and flashy enrichment opportunities like trips to the Galápagos Islands — that their ideas are viewed as unworkable in regular schools. Charter Schools’ False Promise. Neoliberal reform in Newark.
* I’m back on top: Red wine’s “magic ingredient” resveratrol has no health benefits.
* But not for long: Being a bully may be good for your health, study finds.
* According to Cass Sunstein, studies in psychology and behavioral economics show that 80% of the population is “unrealistically optimistic.” When it comes to their own actions and life prospects, people tend to have unwarranted expectations that things will work out well for them. The other 20%? The realists? They “include a number of people who are clinically depressed.
* The five-second rule: It’s still good.
* Tomorrow’s pro-life placards today: rare mono-mono twins born holding hands at birth.
* Kim Stanley Robinson introduces the very best of Gene Wolfe.
* The Freakonomics boys declare that trial by ordeal must have worked because something something game theory.
* As long as it is something that you would do even if it were unpaid, it is increasingly becoming something you have to do for free or for very little. On the other hand, you can be paid to do the kind of jobs that no one would do if managers did not invent them.
* I don’t care what you say: I choose to believe in China’s high-speed undersea Pacific train.
* The kids aren’t all right: Reading Report Shows American Children Lack Proficiency, Interest.
Written by gerrycanavan
May 13, 2014 at 3:43 pm
Posted in Look at what I found on the Internet
Tagged with abortion, academia, adjuncts, administrative blight, America, apocalypse, art, austerity, bad dads, Barack Obama, bullies, bullshit jobs, bullying, Camden, cancer, Catholicism, cell phones, charter schools, China, class struggle, climate change, Columbus, Detroit, disability, drones, drought, ecology, false utopias, forever war, Freakonomics, Frozen, futurity, game theory, Gene Wolfe, Google, health, health care, hedge fund managers, How the University Works, Kim Stanley Robinson, Little League, longevity, male privilege, malls, maternity leave, metadata, Mexico, misogyny, MOOCs, mortality, my life as a teetotaller, NASA, neoliberalism, New Jersey, Newark, no one could have predicted, Norway, NSA, nuns, optimism, pessimism, politics, prison-industrial complex, privilege, prom, race, reading, realism, religion, Santa Maria, science, science fiction, sexism, startups, suburbs, superheroes, surveillance society, teachers, the Devil, the five second rule, the kids aren't all right, the Pope, the right to be forgotten, trains, transgender issues, trial by ordeal, war on education, water, white privilege