The Coldest Monday Links
* No one could have predicted! Water pollution from fracking confirmed in multiple states.
* FBI Drops Law Enforcement as ‘Primary’ Mission. 99 Percent Of Police Brutality Reports In Central New Jersey Never See The Light Of Day. Half Of Black Males, 40 Percent Of White Males Are Arrested By Age 23.
* What’s Driving Chaotic Dismantling of Canada’s Science Libraries? More Details on the Franklin Co., NC Records Destruction. This last one is National Treasure III-level weird.
* Who’s burning money on ed-tech venture capital? Everyone, that’s who!
* “The difference between people who believe in the 2nd coming of Jesus and those who believe in global warming is that Jesus will return”: Winter Does Not Disprove Global Warming. How global warming can make cold snaps even worse.
* So there’s complexity at play here: internet pornography presents an ambiguous vision of freedom that is subtended by a business apparatus that depends upon the very opposite of freedom. Porn and democracy.
* Trouble in Iraq. Why is the Nation framing this in should-we-invade terms? Because the definition of insanity is…
* Nancy Kerrigan was attacked twenty years ago. You. are. old.
Written by gerrycanavan
January 6, 2014 at 2:17 pm
Posted in Look at what I found on the Internet
Tagged with academia, archives, augmentation, austerity, baby it's cold outside, Canada, class struggle, climate change, democracy, Detroit, dibs on the screenplay, drugs, ecology, Facebook, FBI, gay rights, How the University Works, hydrofracking, I grow old, insanity, Iraq, Jenna Jameson, just world hypothesis, labor, language, libertarianism, libraries, male privilege, marriage equality, Milwaukee, misogyny, MOOCs, Nancy Kerrigan, National Treasure, neoliberalism, New Jersey, No Child Left Behind, North Carolina, pedagogy, pensions, places to invade next, police brutality, police state, politics, pollution, pornography, prison-industrial complex, race, racism, religion, right to work, Scalia, sexism, social media, Supreme Court, Teach for America, the rich are different from you and me, the slow university, the Southwest, Toothpaste for Dinner, unions, Utah, war on education, water, Wisconsin