* Timeline of Science Fiction Ideas, Technology and Inventions (sorted by Publication Date).
* Ill-considered, disastrous dam project “has given biologists the opportunity to measure the speed of mammal extinctions.” Well, that’s certainly looking at the glass half-full.
* Decadence watch: Emory University Closes its Visual Arts Department.
* Decadence watch, part two: “The Price Is Right” Airs All-Plinko Episode.
* ‘We Felt Like We Were Above the Law’: How the NCAA Endangers Women.
* Don’t be that dude: Handy tips for the male academic.
* Where Is The Place Of Anger In The University?
Everyday I walk past UC Berkeley’s newly renovated football stadium on my way to drop off my daughter at the Clark Kerr facility for toddlers, and everyday – after picking her up from school – I wait at a bus stop directly across from the same stadium. The stadium, which has put the university 445 million dollars in debt, is just down the street from my daughter’s UC preschool, which is housed in a double-wide trailer and sits on a parking lot in the northwest corner of Clark Kerr Campus. Its interior walls have been removed, and linoleum and carpet patchwork that are no longer contiguous with the layout of the room still show marks of these former walls – in some places adhesive still clings to the floor, marking where one of these walls once stood. This is the facility that we were not granted a tour of – a facility that houses only subsidized children. We do not know where the unsubsidized children receive their care.
* From the Daily Californian: School first, sports second.
* Austerity measures pushes Greek universities to point of collapse.
* America drunk-dials Iran, Iran picks up.
* LOVEINT: How NSA Spies Abused Their Powers to Snoop on Girlfriends, Lovers, and First Dates.
* The women of the Pawnee, Indiana Parks Department have literally spent thousands of dollars on their clothes.
* How LucasArts fell apart.
* The update of the damned: Apple’s iOS 7 Causing Motion Sickness And Even Vomiting In Users. This in a device (the iPad) that was originally marketed in part as an accessibility breakthrough.
* The fundamental law of media graph construction.
* A brief history of the Muppets’ very brief stint on Saturday Night Live.
* A Brief History of Slash.
* And a court orders same-sex marriage in my beloved home state of New Jersey. Meet me in a land of hope and dreams.