Sunday Morning Links!
* Under the terms of an earlier decision by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management, the BP refinery can legally discharge an annual average of 23.1 parts per trillion of mercury — nearly 20 times the federal water quality standard for Great Lakes polluters. The proposed new permit would allow that special exemption to continue indefinitely.
* If you’re an American corporation operating over the last ten years, you’re gonna have a bad time: Gawker’s Unpaid Interns Sue After Fox Searchlight Ruling.
* Goodwill is paying some of its disabled workers just 22 cents an hour, while the charity’s executives make six figure salaries.
* “Declarations of Whiteness: The Non-Performativity of Anti-Racism.” This got tweeted at me during my conversation about whiteness with @studentactivism the other night, and I found it really interesting.
* Given Marvel’s famous sliding time scale, the entirety of the Marvel Universe has now happened since 9/11.
* And on the other side of the aisle: Has DC Comics Done Something Stupid Today?
* Tomorrow’s headlines today: Massive Flooding In Alberta Canada Forces 75,000 To Flee.
* But don’t worry! And Obama Will Announce Regulation Of CO2 From Existing Power Plants On Tuesday. So next year the rate of increase of flood refugees will begin to taper off.