Wednesday Night Links
* Obama Makes It Clear He Isn’t Willing To Fight for Action on Climate Change. Boy, I’m really looking forward to liberals holding Obama’s feet to the fire on climate now that he won the election! Poll results show “the dramatic impact 2012′s extreme weather has had across party lines, with half of Republicans, 73 percent of independents and 82 percent of Democrats saying they’re worried about the growing cost and risks of extreme weather disasters fueled by climate change.” How Would We Implement A Carbon Tax? (Almost) Everything You Need To Know. Doing The Climate Math: Action Obama Can Take Now. Germany Has Built Clean Energy Economy U.S. Rejected in 80s.
* Normally differential tuition proposals are based on the different costs of running different programs (if your major is more expensive to run you should pay more etc) or, when there is some sort of relationship to future earnings that those entering more lucrative fields can afford more (part of the rationale for higher professional school fees). But the Florida Task Force operates on the opposite assumption: that costs of programs should not matter and that those who allegedly have worse job options should pay more for their programs than those who will move into fields that make them immediately employable. Or to put it more bluntly, that philosophy students should pay more for their education than STEM students because there are more jobs available in STEM fields than jobs as philosophers. Of course, as Elizabeth Propp Berman recently pointed out this job driven logic doesn’t even make economic sense: economic opportunities for most STEM fields are not higher than for many humanities or liberal arts fields, and the sorts of skills provided in the humanities and social sciences are in great demand in the economy.
* Right-wing operatives have decided that prisons are a lot like schools: hugely expensive, inefficient, and in need of root-and-branch reform privatization.
* Wisconsin GOPers back bill to arrest officials who implement Obamacare. It was your party’s own idea, you lunatics.
* The VCE exam body has been left red faced after a doctored artwork depicting a huge robot helping socialist revolutionaries during the Russian Revolution was accidentally included in this year’s year 12 history exam taken by 5700 students. Teach the controversy!
* And this time for real: Local News Crew Confirms Denver Man’s UFO Claims While Attempting to Debunk Them.
Written by gerrycanavan
November 14, 2012 at 7:02 pm
Posted in Look at what I found on the Internet
Tagged with abortion, academia, aliens, Barack Obama, carbon tax, climate change, comics, debt, ecology, Florida, gay rights, Germany, gerrymandering, health care, How the University Works, immigration, Ireland, journalism, Karl Rove, kids today, liberals, malapportionment, marijuana, marriage equality, miscarriage, Occupy Wall Street, PACs, people who don't clean up after their dogs, prison-industrial complex, prisons, Republicans, restaurants, robots, Rolling Jubilee, serial killers, socialism, Soviet Union, SuperPACs, the House, the truth is out there, The Walking Dead, UFOs, Wisconsin
Subscribe to comments with RSS.