* The New York Times has a short piece on The Wire and its popularity among academics on the very day I sent in a proposal for an MLA 2011 special session to be moderated by Lisa and myself:
After The Wire. The cultural and intellectual legacy of The Wire, particularly its critique of neoliberal institutions and its place in the social realist tradition. 250-300 word abstracts due by 15 March 2010 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* “Transracial Writing for the Sincere.” By Nisi Shawl, visiting Duke later this month.
* Avatar is a billion-dollar film after just 17 days.
* Barbara Ehrenreich on the “gift” of breast cancer and the trap of positive thinkinng.
* Last fall, the American Law Institute, which created the intellectual framework for the modern capital justice system almost 50 years ago, pronounced its project a failure and walked away from it. This welcome news comes by way of Srinivas.